Wednesday, May 26, 2010

An Incredibly Simple Model

The other day I had some delightful 1-on-1 one time with the Associate Dean of Research while en route to observe some focus groups. One of our many interesting topics of conversation was dissertation strategies. Whereas my current strategy is clarifying my worldview and applying it to a topic, building on or creating theory in the process, he suggested something so obvious it had never occurred to me. What he called the “economics model” of a dissertation is basically an introduction, three related studies, and a conclusion. I must admit, it's a heckuva lot simpler than the almost bizarrely complex approach I've been using.


As a big fan of selective exposure theory, I think addressing the cognitive, affective, and behavioral implications of the theory may be a simple and manageable approach to the most complex task I have ever undertaken in my life. The following outline could be a very vague idea of what my dissertation may look like. I estimate it would be around 200 pages long, perhaps closer to 180.


1) Introduction

2) Literature Review of Selective Exposure/Selective Processes

3) A study on selective exposure as a result of affective states.

4) A study on selective exposure’s cognitive impact.

5) A study on behavioral implications of selective exposure.

6) Conclusion

7) Appendices

8) Works Cited



No comments:

Post a Comment